It’s a tough job running a business. It’s incredibly demanding, stressful and time-consuming – but, of course, when things are going well, it can be tremendously satisfying and rewarding too.
We hear these personal stories every day as we talk to customers, and we are constantly learning lessons from these conversations too.
We confirmed that prosperous businesses have some key things in common. And when it comes to their IT, data, and telephony, this boils down to getting the basics right. They’re on top of those absolute fundamentals, minimizing their risks and maximizing their chances of success.
Conversely, those businesses that don’t have a grip on these basics are taking some very big risks, missing opportunities and gambling on their futures – and the futures of their employees too.
So, this week, it’s back to basics! Of course, there are many things that have to go right to be successful in business, but we strongly recommend that you complete our IT health check. If you’ve got a handle on these essentials, then you’ve got good IT system foundations in place and you can build from there. To get a clean health status you need to be able to answer all 8 questions!
- IT services. Do you know exactly what outsourced services you currently receive from your IT provider and at what cost? Do you know the details of the contracts with these suppliers such as when you are tied in until and what notice period you need to give?
- Data storage. Do you keep records of all the types of data your business uses, and how you store, protect and use it? Have you assessed the impact of losing each type of data so you can manage and mitigate the risk?
- IT equipment. Do you have an up-to-date inventory of all your IT equipment, software, and devices?
- Security. What security measures do you have in place such as managed anti-virus, firewalls and multi-factor authentication (like online banking uses) Have you undertaken any of the Government-backed, industry-supported programs such as Cyber Essentials, to ensure your business is doing all the security basics?
- Backup. Is your data being backed up? By who? How many copies are being taken and can you access those easily? Do you check that backups are being successfully completed? What about cloud file storage like Dropbox or SharePoint – these are not backups in their own right
- Disaster recovery. Do you regularly assess the risks should any aspect of your systems fail or be inaccessible? Do you have a disaster recovery plan? Just because a server is backed up does not mean you will have instant access to that data in the event of a failure, it could be days or even weeks depending on what plans you have in place.
- Updates. Are your operating systems and software automatically updated or are you using old, unsupported technology, possibly with security holes waiting to be found?
- Training. Do you have measures in place to control how your employees use your IT so that they use it efficiently and safely? Simply training them on how to spot a spam email could save your business from a cyber-crime.
So, how does your business measure up? Do you feel in control, or do you need some assistance? If you’d like to find out how we may be able to help your organization to get the basics right, call our team at 831-644-0300 or drop us a line at email@example.com
Adaptive Information Systems was founded with the mission to help businesses get the most out of their technology investments. We provide Salinas IT support , we are ready to manage your IT needs so you can focus on running your business.